Friday, July 27, 2012

kicking off the tips...

Post contributed by Brooke Hargett


Kicking off our new blog and writer's tips... I'm so excited about the new book I just bought, called The Emotion Thesaurus, A Writer's Guide to Character Expression, by Angela Ackerman & Becca Puglisi.  I am IN LOVE with this book!  These two amazing writers knew exactly what I needed!  

The idea of it is to help you expand the words you use in your description, adding depth and making you a better writer.  I'm pretty far into my book, and I have found that I end up using similar descriptions of emotions throughout, which I don't want to do!

The authors made this guide really easy to use.  Let's say that you are writing a scene where someone is really scared, so the root emotion the character might feel is FEAR.  So you just look up the word fear, and there's a whole list of physical signs, mental reactions, cues they could develop if the character feels the emotion for a long time, other emotions it could escalate to, and cues of what the character might do if the feeling is suppressed.  It's BRILLIANT!! 

I shared most of the introduction of the book at our meeting yesterday, because I really loved everything they said!  I won't spoil it for you, and I really believe this book is worth purchasing, so snag yourself a copy!!  The authors have a blog, which you should definitely check out.  It's called The Bookshelf Muse. 

The other tip I shared yesterday is this website I found listing the Top 10 Writer's Blogs of 2011.  The info found on these blogs is FANTASTIC!  I totally got lost looking through archives and soaking up tons of good information!  I shared one post in particular, called How To Ensure that 75% of Agents Will Request Your Material, by Marcus Sakey.  I mean, how can you not want to know about that?? 

Well those are all the little gems I have for you today!  Keep checking back to see what the other Riveting Writer's come up with!

Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment